I’m just back from the desert heat of Dubai, where the hazy sunshine dried out my damp winter bones and turned my skin a lovely dark chocolate hue – as a friend once remarked, ‘you look like you’ve been totally air-brushed … ’ .
March really stamps spring on the map, but so far it has been terribly cold which has not exactly encouraged us to slow down our eating of high-calorie food. I think the major trick here is to let your mind rule a bit and persevere – you really need to start getting your body used to the idea of letting go of the body fat it stored for winter. Here are a couple of tips to nudge that process forward:
- Reduce your calorie intake by as little as 200 to see a change in your weight – it’s only one latte or a couple of biscuits a day!
- Replace sugary cakes and biscuits with fresh fruit or 70% coco chocolate – two squares only, not the whole bar in one meal, is fine and kills sugar cravings
- Lay off the booze – a big sugar hit that piles on weight, especially in women
- Start to eat a wider variety of protein – eggs, fish, tofu, lentils, chicken and turkey are all good, but cut down on red meat. For women, two pieces a week is fine to keep iron stores healthy.
- Continue to increase your vegetable intake and introduce a few salads if you’re particularly hot-blooded.
Exercise-wise, spring, like autumn, is a peak time for movement – if you managed to keep up your workouts, well done! You can now increase the speed and intensity of your sessions – either run faster or start an interval hill programme to help you reduce body fat and increase fitness levels.
Those of you still trying to shake the winter blues – get started now! You still have time to get in shape before the summer but you’ll need to focus on it and keep motivated, so a personal trainer, fitness DVD or classes may help.
New Class Alert
Crystal Clear Health has a new offering this month, in Covent Garden. I’m really looking forward to teaching classes again – I can’t tell you the amount of fun, friends and knowledge I got the first time around, back in the day … it’s going to be an amazing experience.
Ma’At – mind-body stretching
Sign up for a class in a BRAND NEW mind-body stretching system which will be taking place on 24th March 2011 at 6.30pm at INC Space. Please click on the link below for all the info. Email email@example.com to book as places are limited.
… and finally, I’ve been spring-cleaning – throwing out stuff that is either old (I kept the boyfriend), ugly or not befitting the new emerging energy … big changes ahead. Only playing old school reggae – UB40 or soul music like Kleer seems to keeps things light; with a bit of luck, the sun will arrive to stay soon.
See you next time